Saturday, May 12, 2012

In Honor of Mother's Day

First, I would like to draw attention to how I spelled the word "honor" without a U. There is no "you" in honor. Thank you very much.

All right. For Mother's Day I would like to post a comparison of all the greatest Mother's Day movies... except, rather like Thanksgiving, there aren't a lot of movies about this holiday. Maybe that's because Hallmark invented it, or maybe because a lot of people aren't taking their moms to movies on Mother's Day. So, instead, we'll just do a comparison of...

MOVIE'S GREATEST MOMS!!!!!

Now, my mom looks like Kathy Bates (left). Her first name, in fact, is Kathy! How crazy is that! So when I think of a movie with a mom in it, my first thought is Misery. But.... I don't think that movie really has anything to do with being a mother.... Then again, I don't have kids. So... I guess it could be a lot like being a mother.

So, now we can move on to actual movie-mothers.

And what the heck, let's include miniserieses, just for fun. (Is it "miniserieses" or "miniseri"? [Don't answer. I'm not really asking.]) My most favorite-to-hate mother in a miniseries has to be Mrs. Bennett (right) from BBC's Pride and Prejudice. My mom, and myself, love this version of Jane Austen's beloved classic. Watching this is literally like unto watching the book, and Mrs. Bennett is so obnoxious and screechy! Alison Steadman has "horrible mother" down to a tee. I know a lot of you folk out there have only seen the Keira Knightly version which is nothing like the novel and... frankly... horrible. So, please, go watch this 6 hour miniseries. You won't regret it... unless you're one of my brothers. My dad likes it, but my brothers don't. What are you gonna do?


Mom number two comes at us from my favorite movie, About a Boy. Toni Collette plays Fiona, a European hippie-mom, who is deeply depressed, and appears to be wearing some sort of yeti costume.

Toni Collette (right) comes back for our #3 mom from The Sixth Sense. It wasn't that this mom was particularly fantastic, but any character played by Toni Collette is going to exceed expectations.

Narcissa Malfoy (left) is one devoted mother who comes to us from Harry Potter. Sure, she's evil and all, and the sister of Bellatrix Lestrange, and the wife of Lucius Malfoy, and the mother of Draco Malfoy. But that doesn't mean she doesn't put her son's needs over the needs of... well, Snape....

Perhaps a better example of good parenting from the Harry Potter series would be Molly Weasley, who raised an entire army of gingers, and ended up killing the series' most awesome villain.

And let's not forget my favorite 24 character-turned Twilight star, Sarah Clarke's Renee (right) in Twiligiht. Sure, she's on the screen for a total of maybe nine seconds, but 24 has trained me to be very excited every time I see Nina on screen! "It's Nina!!!" That means something awesome is about to happen.

Okay, that's all I can think of. And you know what's nice about this list, is that my mom is still the greatest, even though these moms are all well known and stuff. Happy Mother's Day, punks!

No comments:

Post a Comment