Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dull Treader

Errr, I MEAN "Dawn Treader." Ooops.

Anyway, this movie is the worst of the three Narnia movies out so far. I very nearly enjoyed Prince Caspian, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was so monumentally better than the one they made me watch in grade school that I *actually* liked it.... Well, I liked it enough.

Dawn Treader, however, introduced an incredibly obnoxious character who admitted that he made a better dragon than a boy, Useless, (er, "Eustace,") while simultaneously getting rid of Susan and Peter, (the least obnoxious members of the quartet. Oh shut up, I know Lucy's real cute. Geez, get off my freakin' case.)

(Pictured - Eustace [Will Poulter,] Edmund [Skandar Keynes,] Lucy [Georgie Henley,] and Caspian [Ben Barnes.])

During the movie they sailed around very children-bookishly, dealing with invisible "giants" in a very Labyrinth-esk way, and predictably setting forth what they needed to do, blah, blah, etc.

The movie was PG, but I thought at times it was uber creepy. (That green fog was too Ten Commandments-ish to not be terrifying.)

The fact they had to put seven swords on Aslan's table just reminded me of Harry Potter, even though Narnia books came out first. But, sadly, Harry Potter did it so much better. I mean, holy cow. I think the difference between Narnia and Harry Potter is that Harry and his friends don't act like whiny little brats... and there's no creepy, green fog.

This movie gets bonus points for Skandar Keynes's awesome name - Skandar. Think I have my SWTOR character name.

1 comment:

  1. is this out? I actually wanted to see this.the new ones were fine (prefered the first over prince caspian). I liked the ones from grade school well enough, but they never finished them. also theres a creepy 1979 CTW (the childrens television workshop, you may remember them from sesame street opening) animated the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe movie. you should def check it out.

    ReplyDelete