Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Captain America

I did not think I was going to enjoy this movie, but this movie was more than enjoyable. The cast was excellent, (I adore Hugo Weaving. Give us your best, "Mr. Andersen," here.) It was nice to see Tommy Lee Jones in a super-hero movie where he WASN'T Two-Face, (thank goodness!) Hayley Atwell, (you might know her as Bess Foster in The Duchess, you know, the "other woman,") was just dandy and not a bit annoying. (Shut up, this is high praise coming from me.) Stanley Tucci was excellent, as always, (I even like him in movies I hate.) And Ever After fans might recognize Toby Jones (Dr. Zola) as the little pipsqueak who Angelica Houston manipulates throughout the film. He's also Smee in Finding Neverland, the voice of Dobby in Harry Potter and he'll play Claudius Templesmith in The Hunger Games alongside Stanley Tucci's Caesar Flickerman. (Speaking of Hunger Games, I saw a poster on our way into the theater and nearly died.) Anyway, Chris Evans's portrayal as Captain America was honest and simple. I very much enjoyed this movie. It was better than many other movies that came out this year, and I didn't want to stab myself in the eye once. And it was clean, wholesome, American fun. It gets bonus points for being so gosh darn patriotic.

My biggest casting complaint was Dominic Cooper's (ALSO in The Duchess,) portrayal of Howard Stark, (Tony Stark/Iron Man's dad.) I guess I wanted him to be more like Tony Stark and less like... Charles Grey from The Duchess.

Be sure to stay till the end for an Avengers preview, because you (well, I,) cannot find it on Youtube, not yet anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment