Wednesday, June 8, 2011

+ is often used to replace "AND," not "plus."

A woman in my class last semester who shall remain nameless, (since I can't remember her name,) told my entire class that the "Claire Danes' Romeo and Juliet is actually pronounced 'Romeo Plus Juliet.'" We must assume that she thinks because it's written "Romeo + Juliet," it must read "Plus." Yet... rarely in the English world does +=Plus. In MATH, sure, it's a "plus" sign, but in ENGLISH, it's an "and" sign.

Don't be fooled, as my class was, my friends. (Not that you would be.) Some of us remember the previews and commercials for Romeo + Juliet, and we would have remembered if they had ever said "Plus." I mean, come on!

It's a life-long goal of mine to not correct people who mis-quote movies, or mis-represent movies. (It's a huge pet-peeve of mine when it happens, but a huge pet-peeve of those around me when I correct them.) So, I didn't correct her... and the knowledge of this fact is driving me insane, so I had to put it here.

As if Baz Luhrmann wanted to set his Romeo and Juliet apart from others, or something. He uses Shakespeare's words! To change the name would be to plagiarize, (though, it's not like there's a copyright on Shakespeare.)

I know, what you're thinking. "What's in a name?"
Ha.... Ha.... Ha.....

No comments:

Post a Comment