Monday, February 27, 2012

Books vs Movies

As you are aware, one of your favorite books turns movie in about a month - The Hunger Games, and if you're like me or anyone else who's read the books, you're probably terrified that the movies will ruin the books for you forever.

But I'm here to tell you there's hope. Sometimes movies are better than, just as good as, or only slightly worse and still very enjoyable than their novel counterparts. Here's a few...

Fight Club
I read Fight Club years after I saw the movie, and I found the novel pretentious, preachy and tiresome, while the movie was exciting, edgy and well acted, and I'm a Palahniuk fan.


The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The novel is fan-freaking-tastic and one of my all-time favorite books, but you have to admit Disney's musical version rocks.


Gone with the Wind
The movie changed so much of the book, but nobody cared. The book is amazing, and the movie is one of the greatest movies of all time.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 
All 6 of the other movies were horrible compared to the wonderful Harry Potter book series, however, movies seven and seven point five soared while novel seven fell flat.


About a Boy
Because I loved the movie I decided to read the book... I was not a fan of the book.


Jurassic Park
This is another good example of a great book turned great movie, although they differ so much from each other that they're hardly recognizable as the same stories.

So, forget about the other Harry Potter movies, forget every other book-turned-movie, and go and see The Hunger Games. If we're completely disappointed... well, our love of the series was fun while it lasted.

1 comment:

  1. Princess Bride the Movie was way better than the book and thats coming from someone who, thru repeated findings, is heavily book biased.

    ReplyDelete