Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pregnant Women in Movies

One thing I promised myself I would never do once I started my acting career, was to never give birth on stage or on screen, (sorry, Sarah, whom I wrote a birth scene for.) As long as I keep playing nuns, I'll probably never have to worry about this....

Yet, how often are audiences stuck suffering through the really awkward experience of fake-birth?

I don't even want to talk about it, that's how awkward it is. Instead, let's just talk about all the pregnant characters in the movies.

Now, most animated movies don't bother with pregnancy. In fact, only one comes to mind: The Emperor's New Groove (below). Chicha is a witty, tough, pregnant lady. If she were in her husband's shoes, the movie would have been over a lot quicker... because she would have eaten Kuzco, (not because she had weird, pregnant cravings, but because she's like a bear!)

Next up is an example from one of the stupidest movies ever, Star Wars Episode III... whatever the rest of the title is, (above). Padme, or Amidala, or whoever, is pregnant with twins. They made a pregnant action figure out of this character.... Regrettably, the action figure didn't come with He-Man Thunder Punch action.

I know there are more, but those are the only two that make me go, "Oh weird! She's pregnant!"

Edit: Of COURSE there's also Breaking Dawn. But we've already discussed that disturbing pregmasacre.

1 comment: