Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Help

I know you're wondering if I've read the book, well, I haven't, and this movie didn't inspire me to pick up a copy. It's not a bad film, it's just.... well, I was hoping for something hilarious. The preview was full of jokes, however, those were the only jokes in the film. The movie itself was actually very serious. 

I adore the cast. One of my favorite characters was Celia Foote (Jessica Chastain,) even though she's your typical "prostitute with a heart of gold" the stock-character that we've been sick of since Gone with the Wind, High Noon, and Stage Coach. (Okay, technically she's not a prostitute, but it's the same character role.) I found her hilarious and charming. 

I also appreciate the realism of the movie. Just because the book was sold, doesn't mean things suddenly changed for everyone. I also liked that the movie ended not with Skeeter, but with Aibileen.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Amy Adams wasn't in it?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! about Amy Adams. I must say, I've read the book and NOT seen the movie. I'm looking forward to it though, because the book was incredible. I am surprised that they put jokes in the movie at all, let alone the previews. That is a case of marketing mismanagement, I think.

    ReplyDelete