Friday, April 5, 2013

Burt Wonderstone

This movie has four of some of my favorite things: Steve Carell, Jim Carrey, Olivia Wilde, and magicians.

Naturally I don't really like magicians, but I love TV and movie magicians like GOB and The Great Danton. This movie is great. I laughed a few times.

Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi have been friends since forever, and now they've got their own act in Vegas. But they've lost that special something. Olivia Wilde, (Tron, Cowboys and Aliens,) shows up and at first is like, "I don't want to be a part of your act; I have stage fright!" But later is like, "Make me your partner! I'm an awesome magician!" And it doesn't make any sense but she's still one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood so we're over it.

Steve and Steve try a new act but Carell blows it and ends his friend, Steve, in the hospital. So Carell goes off and tries to live a mediocre life. But struggles. Meanwhile Jim Carrey is this crazy new magician who does things like pulls the card you picked out of his cheek, (think PG13 Tony Wonder.) Finally the Steves and Jim have to face off for the ultimate gig in Vegas and you'll never guess who wins!

It's a little sexy at times, and Jim Carrey does some disturbing magic tricks, but overall it's relatively clean for a PG13. It's one of the movies that I'm glad I saw this year. Predictable? Sure. But entertaining. And I can't say that about a lot of movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment