Monday, March 25, 2013

Jim Carrey

Ever since I first saw Ace Ventura I've been a huge Jim Carrey fan. His hyper-acting is different than anything we have seen before, and while it's not for everyone, it's certainly for me. So, here's a highlight of Jim Carrey movies.

In 1985 he starred in a vampire movie called Once Bitten. I saw this movie at least ten years after it came out, and it's been at least ten years since, so... I don't really remember it. I remember thinking it was a little crude at times.

1986 brought Peggy Sue Got Married. I've only seen parts of this movie, and Jim Carrey's part is small. So, let's skip this one.

In 1994 he finally made his mark with Ace Ventura. The world came to know him as this wacky guy who talked with his butt and said lines we're all deathly tired of now. Up until I saw the beginning of this movie, I had never laughed so hard during a movie. This movie is a marvelous example of comedic cinema. If I were to teach a class on how to write a comedy, I'd show this movie. It's a great example of its genre. Each movie should show you what genre it is during the first scene. If you're watching a comedy and not laughing within five minutes, leave the theater.

Later the same year he made The Mask. If you must know, this movie is horrible, although it's widely appreciated and brought us Cameron Diaz.

Still later that year we got Dumb and Dumber, which taught us that stupid people are hilarious. This movie is somewhat Inspector Gadget, (their blunders are often fortuitous,) but that's okay.

1995 brought Batman Forever and while this is Tommy Lee Jones's worst work ever, I do like Jim Carrey's Riddler. I mean, Magic Mountain made a ride because of it. I know, we all hate those Batmans, but this one is my favorite out of the 4... probably because of Jim Carrey.

Then later that year we get Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. I almost like this sequel more than the first one. Not all comedy sequels work because we're usually tired by the one liners, "Not," but this one works because they brought in enough new jokes and added elements to his character that made him alive. (He doesn't love all animals. He's not completely predictable.)

1996 brought The Cable Guy. I couldn't sit through this movie. I'm sorry. I know people like it.

1997 introduced Liar Liar and for the first time in a long time we get a more normal, realistic version of Jim Carrey. Instead of being an outrageous character in a normal circumstance,  he's a normal character in an outrageous circumstance. It's a different type of movie; it's more serious. And I like it.

1998 brought The Truman Show which is more drama than comedy, but cute and slightly fun.

'99 brought Man on the Moon and I found his performance as Andy Kaufman Oscar-worthy.

In 2000 we got Me, Myself and Irene. I don't remember it very well.

I never saw 2000's How the Grinch Stole Christmas, or '04's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or '07's The Number 23, or '08's Horton Hears a Who, or '09's I Love You Phillip Morris, or anything after Yes Man, FYI.

But in '01 I did make the mistake of seeing The Majestic. It wasn't a comedy, and I do not have to like it.

However in '03 our faith in Jim Carrey was rewarded and we got Bruce Almighty. Again, it was a movie where he was a normal guy in a crazy situation. This one is one of my favorites.

2004 brought Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, and I was bored.

We got Fun with Dick and Jane in 2005. It was somewhat entertaining, but he was not a crazy character, and he was not in a "crazy" situation. The funniest part was his Spanish-speaking kid screaming about his "telemundo."

In 2008 we got Yes Man and again we had a movie with Jim Carrey as a normal guy who is put into a crazy situation, however it's not that crazy, and he's not that insane, and in fact, he hooks up with a woman who is far too young for him and it's disgusting, although entertaining. Not his best work, but not his worst.

2 comments:

  1. not a huge fan, but at times he and my bro have the same hair. I put him in a class of very talented actors whose work I normally dont like.

    saw AV 1&2, other people loved it.
    The Mask, rarely are movies based of strange comics good. this wasnt one of them, but very tex avery...

    Batman Forever...was garbage. I thought TLJ was trying to at least work with his terribly written twoface, but I thought jim Carrey was garbage in it.

    cable guy was garbage.

    Liar Liar was not say a block buster, but not a bad movie at all. I really enjoyed it.

    his Grinch was garbage (except seeing the termites run thru his teeth)

    Bruce Almighty was preachy and over hyped. people liked morgan freeman more.

    tldr, I like his abilities (seriously, I hear he massages his forehead muscles like 45min each morning...), but we disagree on his movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, that orange suit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete