Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Star Wars The Last Jedi

What do you need to know about this movie before going to see it? You hear some people hate it. You hear some people love it. How can you know who to listen to without spoiling the movie?
Image result for last jedi
I'm trying to put into words WHY some people hate it and WHY some people love it. So here goes -

THEORY A
The Great Divide
Most of the people I know who hated the movie, happen to be about 10 years younger than me. (Prepare yourself for swooping generalizations!) What that means is they saw the Prequels when they were kids. They didn't grow up watching and loving the originals, and only the originals, as they were in the 70's-80's. They weren't completely annoyed at the digital remastered versions of the originals. They may not even understand the phrase, "Han shot first." And, you know what? They like, tolerate, or accept the prequels. They think "Yeah prequels! Woo! That's Star Wars to me! I like the part where Yoda fights what's-his-bucket, or the part where the little speeders speed around. There was some unfortunate dialogue, and we understand when some people hate Jar-Jar, but generally we totally dig these movies!"
Image result for star wars the last jedi characters
**Shivers**
That was hard to write.
Anyway - so if you're a PL, (Prequel Lover,) then what you like about what you consider legitimate Star Wars, isn't found in Episode 8. 

That would pretty much be the end of my list of theories, except my brother didn't like Episode 8 either. (I should specify. I have three, Star Wars lovin' brothers. One liked it. One hasn't seen it. One didn't like it.) He's older than me. He's a hard-core original Star Wars fan who hates the dreaded prequels, and wants Lucas to serve time for creating them. (That part I made up.) So, we can speculate about why some Gen-Xers might not like The Last Jedi, and why don't we? It'll be fun.

THEORY B
Pros vs Cons
This movie wasn't perfect. I'd, personally, rank it after Episode 7, and probably even after Rogue One. I'm not sure about this ranking. It's WAY better, and doesn't even deserve to be compared to, the DP, (Dreaded Prequels.) It's also not as good as the originals. BUT IT HAS ITS MOMENTS. I love it for these moments, but they are spoilers, so let's bring out our warning.
Image result for star wars the last jedi rey gif
SPOILERS
Chewbacca's Death
No. I'm kidding. He's fine. But one thing I do hear a lot of gripe about is Luke in general. "This isn't Luke!" Yes. This is most DEFINITELY Luke. He slipped for a split-second. THAT IS SO LUKE! How many times in the originals did he completely lose his cool and anger-fight Vader? All the friggin' time! HE WAS CONFLICTED! I enjoyed that they weren't afraid of their characters. They weren't afraid of giving Luke faults, and CHARACTER. This is something the prequels NEVER DID! Lucas was too scared to make his characters AT ALL INTERESTING. And instead we had lifeless mannequins posing in pretty costumes in front of pretty green-screens spouting dribble and doing nobody-knows-what. 

Image result for star wars the last jediI'm almost tempted to make a list of everything I liked and everything I didn't, but oh gosh! Could you imagine if I did?!?!?! It would be soooooooo long and boring! 
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. That's gonna have to suffice for now. Did you like it? Tell me if my theories helped, were totally right, or were way off base and a little insulting. Thanks for stopping by! 

Can I just say... I didn't need to know where blue milk came from... and now... I can't ever go back to not knowing....

No comments:

Post a Comment