Sunday, January 2, 2011

Superman and Batman Apocalypse

Weird title. This movie had very little to do with any sort of apocalypse. It had more to do with Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, (we even have a cameo from Superdog,) and some peeps that I've never heard of rescuing teen-scene Supergirl from the clutches of Darkseid.

Apparently Darkseid wants an ultra-super, ultra-obnoxious teenager to be the captain of his fury army. Which is a little amazing since the only thing she's good at is destroying stuff, bringing everyone down, and eating all our steaks.

This movie was PG13 for some reason. I think that rating is a bit ridiculous. Yes, people die. Yes, there's a little blood. Yes, each and every superhero lady's costume is either underwear, or a monstrosity so heinous I wouldn't fain to sleep in it. (See above.) But PG13? I think they're getting a little ahead of themselves. Oh! Supergirl does run around naked for a while. You don't see anything, but you know she's naked. That's probably the cause, but even then, when Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame didn't have clothes on fire-Esmeralda in the "Hell Fire" scene, they were only going to give the movie a PG rating, up from a G. I guess veiled nudity, plus blood, and a wee bit of violence equals something as inappropriate for children as The Dark Knight, or Austen Powers.


Overall, this movie was entertaining enough. I would say "I liked it," or "I enjoyed it."  Whilst I LOVED Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

2 comments:

  1. Anyways, Apocalypse isn't the "end of the world" apocalypse, Apocalypse is the name of the war world Darkseid rules over. Hence the name, but yea, no real reference to why the name for the movie.

    I think the PG-13 rating was somewhat justified. When I watched the movie I was thinking if I could show it to my 4-year-old but with Super Naked Girl running around in the earlier parts and all the punching later on I gotta say, he's going to have to wait a few years.

    DC has been producing tons of these animated movies straight to video that are all PG-13. I think its an attempt to move further away from the whole "Super Friends" thing and show people they can make entertaining animated super hero movies for older types instead of littler tykes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Apocalypse talk, Jeff. I didn't know that.

    I think you're right about the PG-13 rating. If they got rid of that stupid naked Supergirl, (or just got rid of her all together,) the movie would have sold more copies.

    ReplyDelete